The Office of General Counsel is committed to maintaining efficient and effective administrative services to support the University of Mississippi’s instructional, research, and public service programs. The Office of General Counsel will educate our University of Mississippi clients as to the laws applicable to the University’s operations, solve legal problems and facilitate transactions, and provide advice and representation to help our clients fulfill their missions and meet their goals.
Specifically, the Office of General Counsel will:
- Assume primary responsibility for all litigation involving the University and its employees when acting within the scope of their job responsibilities;
- Identify relevant federal and state laws and regulations and assist University administrators, faculty, and staff in complying with these laws and regulations;
- Review and prepare major contracts between the University and other entities;
- Assist in reviewing and drafting major institutional policies and procedures; and
- Provide legal advice and other legal services upon request to support the work of the University.